Wednesday, April 22, 2009

I get a strange magic

So I have not one, not two, but three count'em three big projects underway.
  1. Replace two windows in house - kitchen and back porch. Windows arrived today so I went and picked them up. I have to say, the people at Lowes are so much nicer than the people at Home Depot. Anyway, the windows qualify us for a 30% tax credit (!) because they are highly energy efficient, so we get like $200 back next tax time. I toyed with the idea of making my own windows, but ultimately decided that there were some things that I wasn't good enough at to satisfy my high expectations. There is a reason there are factories that do nothing but make windows, and I'm (just) smart enough to know that they do a better job at it after making millions of them than I would after making one.
  2. Build those tables and benches I talked about. It would be simple but I have thrown in an extra-credit challenge and volunteered to make tables with integral leveling legs - all out of wood. Idiot.
  3. Big giant erector set construction at work that is essentially a crane with two integral work surfaces. This will allow the building of our ~160 pound instrument and then provide a means of lifting it up off the bench and setting it down on a pallet on the floor. It allows one person to pack a unit that is about 1/4 the volume of an upright piano made out of $70,000 worth of parts. Good times.
And I hope to have a Bad Movie Night soon - featuring Greasers Palace - which I am led to believe is awful.

1 comment:

Pamela said...

Hey, are you acceping donations for bad movie night? I have a Dusk to Dawn DVD that I just watched and realized I have no idea why I bought it. Must have been some 2 for one sale or something. It is REALLY bad.

I also have a few others that have not stood the test of time: The Shining, The Sentinal and Logan's Run. All would qualify for one of your selections and are free for the asking.