Apparently one of my many hundreds of readers has challenged me to some sort of meme thingy. This one is about leisure. Specifically:List 5 things you enjoy, even when no one is around and you want to go out and play. What lowers your stress/blood pressure/anxiety level?
In alphabetical order:
1. I'm not gonna sugar coat it kids: Onanism.
2. Building something, the larger the better. The satisfaction of cutting things up and sticking them together to make something greater than the sum of it's parts is very great. No kidding. I know that building things is hard and stressy for some, it is the opposite for me. Treehouse, house, theatre set, a rolling stand for the recycle bins, IKEA furniture, whatever. Nailed, screwed, welded, glued, cast, whatever.
3. Singing. I like to sing even if nobody is listening. I sing with the music playing in the car, if I can hit the notes. I like the lyrics in many many songs and frankly I like the sound of my voice. (Narcissist. Shocking, I know.) Singing to others is even better, but I think this is out of scope on the meme.
4. Walking, even if it is just a great big 4 mile circle. I don't like taking the dog, she goofs off too much. It is good to go with a partner so you can talk, but walking alone leaves plenty of time to reflect on your thoughts, which is better sometimes.
5. Cleaning the pool. The satisfaction at making something yucky into something nice. You can't be very stressed out after an hour in the sun scrubbing, chlorinating, and hosing.