Friday, February 13, 2009

The Classics

Yes, I watch a lot of movies the main attraction of which is nipples but from time to time I throw in a "real" movie just to keep the folks at Netflix guessing. Tonight, on Kate's recommendation I watched the 1946 Best Picture winner The Best Years of Our Lives. It was quite a worthy flick.

The story is that of three men returning from WWII, their friendship, and how their lives have been changed inexorably by their time in service. Great performances all around and a very long and intense exploration of how delicate our lives really are. It is clear that in some circumstances you simply must accept the fact that the past is the past and cannot be relived or remade. If you have 2 hours and 50 minutes and you want to learn about life and love and loss, you should watch it.

2 comments:

katya said...

Oh, I'm so glad you liked it!

Anonymous said...

That's one of my favorite movies of all time! &:-)