Sunday, February 18, 2007

I finished early

That piece of trim in the bathroom (I would post a picture but do you really want to see a three foot piece of base molding painted white? I didn't think so.) is done. So it looks like I shaved about 3 months and three and a half weeks off my usual time. I also replaced the rusted heater vent cover with a new one, only $5.49. (No radiators here, Grace. Forced air, bay bee!)

So on Friday I had a complete surprise in the job hunt. I got word of a position at a company in Menlo Park (about 7 miles commute!) so I called up the HR person and said, "I'm interested in the Instrument Engineer position." She said, "Hold on, I'll put you through to the hiring manager." There was no Spanish Inquisition conducted in a Dutch dialect with a vague promise of perhaps getting back to me with a response some time in the variable future IF they thought about it in their busy schedule. Nope. I'll put you right through.

It seems as if it might be a great job. I'll find out more when I talk to them again during the week.

I also got my act together and made a planned set of steps to take with each prospective position. Then I set some challenging goals to complete at least ten of the steps each day from a pool of ten prospects. When I get a "no", I'll create another prospect. (I am such a tool.) This way I do at least one thing on each of my ten prospects each day, or more on one prospect. I also made a sticky note reminder that I stuck to the top of the monitor to remind me to follow up with prospective employers:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Despite the potential for burning various parts of your anatomy, my skin isn't as dry in the winter with radiant heating, so I feel like it's worth the risk. :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh, and good luck with the prospect!

Anonymous said...

Knock 'em dead, killer! &:-)